Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » The Library » Rise of the Robots!

Author Topic: Rise of the Robots!
MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the end of 2007, some 4.1 million domestic robots will likely be in use.
The robot has always represented a vision of the future. But now robots are set to walk among us (or at least mow our lawns) in ever increasing numbers.

What else should robots be able to do?

Poster Fist:

We need an all-round robot that can perform a number of tasks around the home, rather than just a hooverbot, a mowerbot etc. Misc's GeneralPurposeSaucyMaidBot™ would also dress in black stockings and carry a feather duster.

discodamage
Again with the bagels ?
 - posted      Profile for discodamage           Edit/Delete Post 
someone should invent a ho'bot and free thousands of trafficked eastern european women from the chains of sexual slavery.

--------------------
EXETER- movement of Jah people.

Raz
Karma Police
 - posted      Profile for Raz           Edit/Delete Post 
A robot that kills women for you would be excé
dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post 
Mowing the lawn's usually quite a pleasant and simple job and I don't think a stupid lump of motorised tin deserves to be given such lightweight tasks. I'd want one that could do the seriously dull stuff like getting rid of weeds and trimming hedges and pruning those kinds of mad plants that suddenly double in size when you're not looking.

I'd expect my robot to be programmed to recognise such plants by zooming in on them with a red lens, searching its data banks, saying, "Dandelion. Terminate on sight." in an Austrian accent and then dabbing a bit of weedkiller on it. I could sit in a deckchair and watch that all day.

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
It would be far better if said weeding robot used some kind of laser to get rid of weeds.
miffysocks
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for miffysocks           Edit/Delete Post 
I’d like a robot to do all my boring tasks, like pick up my debit card from the bank 37 miles away, or go get my shopping once I’ve downloaded a list to it’s hard drive via teco.com

Wouldn’t it be great if you never had to clean an oven or grill again, imagine all the things you could do if everyday chores didn’t have to be done.

How expensive would they be? Do you think you’d become emotionally attached and give them names and pretend birthday parties?

What is the risk of them developing a mind of their own and gong all terminator on us?

-

Human - robot relationships?

--------------------
New for 2005 - STD FREE!!

Greenpeace is just like the BNP, just with like…seals and stuff

MonkeySusan
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for MonkeySusan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like a robot to bring about world peace. To unite white and black, east and west, men and women. I'd like a robot to fertilise the deserts of the world and quell the rising waters brought about by global warming.

Shallow fuckers.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought it most important that robots precisely follow the story arcs set out by every science fiction author ever. Only you wouldn't know which author had hardwired it when you bought it.

That would rock.

Except if you got a stupid chirping R2D2 one. Total gay-bot.

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Thorn Davis

- posted      Profile for Thorn Davis           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by miffysocks:
Wouldn’t it be great if you never had to clean an oven or grill again, imagine all the things you could do if everyday chores didn’t have to be done.

In reality it would just mean people spent even more time slouched in front of the telly getting fat and stupid to the flashy flashy lights and distracting noises of the X Factor.

Also - cleaning up after yourself is kind of good for you.

Vogon Poetess

- posted      Profile for Vogon Poetess           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thorn Davis:

Also - cleaning up after yourself is kind of good for you.

Ha ha ha- hee hee hee *in style of that bit in I am the Walrus*

--------------------
What I object to is the colour of some of these wheelie bins and where they are left, in some areas outside all week in the front garden.

Raz
Karma Police
 - posted      Profile for Raz           Edit/Delete Post 
All robots would have to speak like daleks
dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
I’d like a robot to do all my boring tasks, like pick up my debit card from the bank 37 miles away, or go get my shopping once I’ve downloaded a list to its hard drive via tesco.com

I think that this would actually be better done with clones. You could have your own clone, perhaps supplied at birth so it grew up with you and it would be your permanent servant and doppelganger. It would have some sort of lobotomy so that it didn't feel the need to do any of the nice stuff but would be quite happy as it went through life with you, changing your nappies when you were a baby, doing your homework at school, washing the family car for your pocket money... eventually going to work for you.

Actually, I think some of my workmates might... *gasp*

quote:
Human - robot relationships?

Human - clone relationships? [Eek!] *boggle*
H1ppychick
We all prisoners, chickee-baby.
We all locked in.
 - posted      Profile for H1ppychick           Edit/Delete Post 
I read a sci-fi story by Dave Duncan once, I think called Strings! which is about the elite having their clone doubles grown in a nursery-type place and then using them for organ-harvest when their own bodies begin to fail as a result of their degenerate decadent lifestyle.

Erm, this post contains spoilers.

--------------------
i'm expressing my inner anguish through the majesty of song

dang65
it's all the rage
If you split a person into A (The Person) and B (The Clone) and you gave B all the shitty jobs got A to just laze around havin' a larf then I wonder who would have had the most fulfilling life by the time they were, say, 30. Would the lazing person fill their endlessly free hours with reading and creativity and craft or would they just play The Sims 2 until a sort of Worm of Boredom evolved in their head and ate their brain without them even noticing? I think we need to find out.
miffysocks
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for miffysocks           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
If you split a person into A (The Person) and B (The Clone) and you gave B all the shitty jobs got A to just laze around havin' a larf then I wonder who would have had the most fulfilling life by the time they were, say, 30. Would the lazing person fill their endlessly free hours with reading and creativity and craft or would they just play The Sims 2 until a sort of Worm of Boredom evolved in their head and ate their brain without them even noticing? I think we need to find out.

Quick, you get a stupidly big university grant, and I’ll be the subject.

--------------------
New for 2005 - STD FREE!!

Greenpeace is just like the BNP, just with like…seals and stuff

MiscellaneousFiles

- posted      Profile for MiscellaneousFiles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dang65:
Would the lazing person fill their endlessly free hours with reading and creativity and craft or would they just play The Sims 2 until a sort of Worm of Boredom evolved in their head and ate their brain without them even noticing?

[Frown] FEAR [Frown]
New Way Of Decay

- posted      Profile for New Way Of Decay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
 -

Which one is the robot?

--------------------
BUY A TICKET AND WATCH SOME METAL

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post 
The yellow one. hahahahaha
dang65
it's all the rage
quote:
Originally posted by Ringo:
The yellow one. hahahahaha

They all look the same to me. [Smash advert robots]He he he[/Smash advert robots]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+