Announce
Games

How do I get a tag ?

Read the FAQ !

email us
TMO Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TMO Talk » Media Junkies » What have you been reading and watching? (Page 43)

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  60  61  62 

Author Topic: What have you been reading and watching?
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The combine harvester works pretty well. Although you need a really good cover up team behind you to use it more than once.
Nathan Bleak
It's all grist to the mill
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't you seen the new Whore-B-Gone 3000 from Black and Decker. I got given three of those at Christmas.

--------------------
Now that you've called me by name?

jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 - posted      Profile for jonesy999           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Thron meld.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
 -

Tired of that soft, white, soiled flesh crawling away with a heartbeat? Too busy at work to deliver that final, fatal slash? Don't worry, the new Ronco Whoreomatic is the only tool you'll ever need for immediate tramp termination. Its revolutionary patented Whore Corer™ will pass straight through flesh and bone like a knife through butter - removing her black, diseased heart in a single, tidy motion - while its double tungsten larynx blades will sever her vocal calls, making those pesky good Samaritan murders a thing of the past. Meanwhile, Ronco's unique Elation Station™ will slowly suck at your engorged manhood to create a synchronized moment of death and euphoria time after time after time.

Fits neatly into an overcoat pocket.

As seen on TV.

"I learned about the Ronco Whoreomatic while on remand. I just can't wait to get off!" - Steve Wright Ipswich.

"My greatest regret is never having used the Ronco Whoreomatic" - Ian Brady, Parkshurst.

"I've been using the Whoreomatic for the last three years and I've racked up over seventeen kills, whilst holding down a full time job as a Deacon and running a model aircraft club in my spare time. Thank you Ronco!" - Anon, Plymouth.

"LOL" - Zygote, Manchester.

Order now and receive free iPod attachment.

[ 03.05.2007, 08:08: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

dang65
it's all the rage
 - posted      Profile for dang65           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black & Decker ProBlend 5-speed Stainless Steel Blender BL4900

And for afterwards...

Bosch Pro Hygienic Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner, BSG61870GB

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Hello, I'm Victor Kiam.

Do you ever find yourself standing on a deserted canal towpath, blood on your hands, a tit in your pocket, but the jobs not quite done? There's your whore, convulsing, moaning, blood-bubbles all over her top lip so thick she looks just like your uncle Morrie. The bitch just - won't - die!

I had that problem, too! And then someone introduced me to the K-Tel Slut-o-Matic. It chops, slices, mashes and dices. All in one easy action. You'll never have any more trouble with death-defying tramps. And that's a guarantee!

The Slut-o-Matic! I was so impressed I bought the whole company!

--------------------
sweet

Zygote
TMO's Member
 - posted      Profile for Zygote           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL.
jonesy999

"Call me Snake"
Man if there was a gold medal in being the World's Most Predictable Bunch of Savages...

[ 03.05.2007, 08:12: Message edited by: jonesy999 ]

Black Mask

- posted      Profile for Black Mask           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean, like, a TMOlympics? I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe some other forites would like to fill the rest of us in on the events in this worthy tournament?

--------------------
sweet

Ringo

- posted      Profile for Ringo           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the 100m whoreshred
Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pro' wrestling?

--------------------
If Chuck Norris is late, time better slow the fuck down

London

- posted      Profile for London           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. You can tell I've been away from TMO for too long, because I'm feeling... distressed.
dance margarita
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for dance margarita           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didnt pay her to say that.

--------------------
evil is boring: cheerful power

doc d
late to the party
 - posted      Profile for doc d           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah whore-be-gones and slut-whackers are fine, but the real question is:
do you compost them and claim them as carbon offset?

Black Mask

The Invisibles is just getting stranger and stranger and better and better. I took a break from it yesterday to read Vol. 6 of Walking Dead. Not the best volume by a long chalk, it's like Kirkman felt he had to up the gore-levels, so went nuts for a few dozen pages, then got bored and went back to pondering morality and humanity again. Still, the story's driving forward. 6 out of 10.

Now, back to The Invisibles...

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
 - posted      Profile for Benny the Ball           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read the stuff with Boy and the slave trade underground thing in the US yet? That's my favourite bit I think...

--------------------

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:
Have you read the stuff with Boy and the slave trade underground thing in the US yet? That's my favourite bit I think...

No, I think that bit is coming up. Jack Frost has just come to terms with his abilities, spooked one of the Archon and resurrected King Mob. Jim Crow is about to spirit them out of the UK. The art's improving periodically, as well.

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Benny the Ball:

Hold on... do you mean the Black Train and the gang-bangers as the secret army of the NWO? That was at the end of book 3. Yeah, that was great. With very dark blocky art, like a cross between Rizzo and Mignola. I should probably know the artist's name, but, you know, it's all about the story...

Each book is just fucking thick with ideas, it's a bit overwhelming in places.

--------------------
sweet

Benny the Ball
"oh, hold me"
That's the one. The art is amazingly up and down - I think the series suffered from the shifting so much in the earlier issues. It does get great at moments (the 60's/70's inspired stuff is great).

--------------------

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Benny meant the later reprise of those ideas in (?) American Death Camp; when Boy is stripped of multiple cover identities, including (apparently) the backstory about her two brothers.

I'm at the start of Kissing Mister Quimper now, and expecting it to get scary. The Invisibles overall does feel like a series of episodic adventures - Harmony House, Sir Miles, House of Fun, Dulce, Hand of God. There are overlaps and returns to previous episodes, but it's largely proceeding in terms of mini-missions, with the big arc made up of character development rather than a grand narrative.

Although, of course, the big story is supposedly Invisibles vs Archons... which I find the least convincing, most embarrassing bit of the whole comic. The whole idea of alien monsters, the forces of order and repression, crops up time and time again in Morrison's work of this period (Zenith and Kid Eternity both have their own very similar versions) and the Archons look worst of all the incarnations: just cheesy. Not to mention that the idea of our heroes embodying "rebellion" (= sex, drugs, dancing, shaved head, fetish leather) comes across as kind of lame.

I have some vague memory that the basic concept of a war between rebellion and order are subverted by the end of the last book - which would rescue the series for me in this sense, just as the most interesting episode so far is Best Man Fall, which makes King Mob look like a shit instead of a cool-ass assassin.

If this isn't the case, then the whole idea of a Grant Morrison lookalike and (as he's openly explained) fantasy avatar as the bald, leather-clad sex god of kewlness, fighting with his shockingly trendsome friends (a hip-hop musician! a tranny! a sweary boy! a black woman!) seems kind of naive, transparently egocentric and... very 1990s, not in a good way.

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by wonderstarr:
Although, of course, the big story is supposedly Invisibles vs Archons... which I find the least convincing, most embarrassing bit of the whole comic.

I think it's great, a Cthonic/Illuminati hybrid, drawing together threads of legend, sci-fi, conspiracy theory, esoteric religion, the occult, physics... Good stuff. Surely, KM's coney rubber jacket is the most embarrassing bit of the whole comic?

--------------------
sweet

Black Mask

quote:

I have some vague memory that the basic concept of a war between rebellion and order are subverted by the end of the last book

I'd certainly hope that some more doubt would be slathered onto the noble derring-do. Dane hints at it often enough in the opening chapters.

--------------------
sweet

wonderstarr
TMO Member
 - posted      Profile for wonderstarr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
quote:
Although, of course, the big story is supposedly Invisibles vs Archons... which I find the least convincing, most embarrassing bit of the whole comic.

I think it's great, a Cthonic/Illuminati hybrid, drawing together threads of legend, sci-fi, conspiracy theory, esoteric religion, the occult, physics... Good stuff. Surely, KM's coney rubber jacket is the most embarrassing bit of the whole comic?
To be fair, I think it's more the inside and outside-cover blurbs I'm getting this from, with their summaries of the books thus:

There's A WAR going on between the forces of Oppression and a small band of terrorist Freedom Fighters!

Join

KING MOB: the baddest, baldest cool assassin of this - and ANY OTHER century!

RAGGED ROBIN: Girl from the Future. She became King Mob's LOVER. (You'll see them shagging - and how!!)

BOY: She's a girl... and she's Black! Don't mess with this sista... she's from HARLEM (the baddest, blackest town on this Earth) so she grew up hard, on streets where smarts and MARTIAL ARTS are the only way to survive!

JIM CROW: As another Black person, he brings VOODOO and his HIP HOP skills to the team!

LORD FANNY: He's a girl... she's a ... BOY? Also a South American Shaman - or should we say, SHA-woman? Prepare to have your senses shocked!

JOLLY ROGER: See what we did again? Roger's a girl... and she could soon become someone's LOVER! Cause she's a Lesbian (she knows Martial Arts, too).

JACK FROST: He fucking hates that name! And he's not fucking afraid to say "FUUUUCK!" Could also be the New Buddha.

Also inside: Marquis de Sade (historical and literary sex)! Ecstasy drugs... The Number 23... The Roswell Alien.

THERE'S a war ON between King Mob's team
and the forces of control and repression, like men in SUITS, guided by ALIENS.

which side ARE YOU ON??

------------>
King Mob's side of Rebellion and Cool?
or the men in suits trying to control us, who are
REALLY CONTROLLED
by Aliens <------------

--------------------
pudgy little saucepot

Black Mask

quote:

which side ARE YOU ON??

------------>
King Mob's side of Rebellion and Cool?
or the men in suits trying to control us, who are
REALLY CONTROLLED
by Aliens <------------

Ummmm... it's a head versus heart thing, isn't it?

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
 - posted      Profile for Nathan Bleak           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if, deep in your heart, you just want to fit in?

--------------------

Black Mask

It's monkeys versus spacemen, and who wants to be a smelly stupid fucking monkey?

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
I would love that, actually, if Robin or someone went to have a word with King Mob and he was all like "What happened to your hair... your clothes...?" and they replied "Ah, yes, well that's what I wanted to talk to you about. I've been offered a job, you see. And well... I was thinking... all we ever do is whizz around the dimensions and fire weird guns at aliens, and for a while now I was thinking it might be nice to... you know... settle down. And there's prospects, you see. And. Well. You know. Properties aren't getting any cheaper, and you know what it's like trying to get a mortgage without a permanent job... I mean, I haven't even got enough official ID to rent a film from Blockbuster at the moment, and Ocean's 13 has just come out. And well. To be honest I just wanted to fucking grow up."

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
If anyone can tell me how to stop turning into Mark from Peep Show, I'd be most grateful, ta.

--------------------

Black Mask

It's a Catch-22 situation, really, isn't it? Be an Invisible and be cool, or be an Archon-slave and get a pension.

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
Or, be an Archon slave and read about the Invisibles and pretend like you're cool.

--------------------

Nathan Bleak
Now I think about it, I really can't decide whether I would rather be a monkey or an astronaut. Either would be really excellent.

--------------------

Black Mask

Check it out!
 -

--------------------
sweet

Nathan Bleak
I think I was obviously too harsh on sabian. You can have it all!

--------------------

Black Mask

quote:
Originally posted by Black Mask:
Check it out!
 -

If he could communicate telepathically, if he had a sword and a machine gun and a pet attack-hyena, a hover bike and a license to kill, and a billion quid, that would be perfect and I'd even give up being me to be him.

--------------------
sweet

Jimmy Big Nuts
CounterCulture Vex'
 - posted      Profile for Jimmy Big Nuts           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a film called 'swingers' yesterday, and it was pretty good. Coming of age / buddy kind of thing involving a group of twenty something male actors trying to get started in Hollywood. A feel good film, but it had some tight scripting and a comforting indie feel to it. Worth it if you get the chance.

[ 14.05.2007, 05:39: Message edited by: Jimmy Big Nuts ]

This topic is comprised of pages: 62 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  ...  60  61  62 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Moon Online

copyright TMO y2k+